Monday, March 09, 2009

March 9, 2009

The Noodle

Read: Luke 15:11-32

Several years ago, my wife's brother remarried, and I inherited a new niece, Stephanie (the Noodle). She was as vibrant and sweet as a 6-year-old girl could be, and as squiggly too, hence the nickname.

One night, her mother and my brother-in-law had plans to go to a Christmas party and wanted Jeri and me to watch Miss Noodle for the night. We were going to my brother Gord's house for a Christmas feast, and took the Noodle with us, as my niece Rachael would be there, and the two loved to play together. A family feast ensued, and a good time was had by all.

It was a dark, cold night, lots of stars, and no moon. As we drove home on the quiet country roads across the north end of three counties, we could hear Stephanie slipping in and out of sleep and Noodle dreams. Then she woke up. She started telling us of all the new aunts and uncles and cousins she had just met, and how much fun it was.
Then she started counting out loud and on her fingers all her family, new and old, and all the people she knew loved her. She had a few favorites and people she knew loved her "extra special."

When she had counted all of us, she came up with 33. She had 33 people she knew loved her. Then, from the back seat, she yelled in excitement, "Did you hear that? I have 33 people who love me. Uncle Ron, I'm rich!"

Ron Draper (from March 10, 2003)

No comments: