Friday, March 06, 2009

March 6, 2009

Trials In Life

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Psalm 46 1-3
He will be our guide even unto death. Psalms 48

Every one of us will face trials in our lives, some are visible, some are not. How we deal with those trials will determine our final victory.

It has been over ten years since I walked out of a Doctor’s office, in complete shock, having just been told that I had Parkinson’s disease. I knew little if anything about Parkinson’s. Back then, most people who had Parkinson’s wouldn’t acknowledge the fact that they had anything wrong until they couldn’t hide the symptoms any longer. Consequently, I could only picture the worst case scenario and it was scary. However, I soon learned that there were many stages in between and that it would be years, before my life style would actually be affected by the disease. That time is slowly arriving for me. As I face more difficult days ahead, I try to keep in mind that we may choose how we respond to our particular trial. I know that I can’t do it alone and that I will need God’s help and your help at GPUMC in the days and years to come.

I have had the poem, “What God Hath Promised,” taped to the wall behind my desk for a number of years. I particularly like the following part of the poem:

God hath not promised      But God hath promised
We shall not know      Strength for the day,
     Toil and temptation,      Rest for the laborer,
     Trouble and woe.      Light for the way,
He hath not told us      Grace for the trials
We shall not bear      Help from above,
     Many a burden,      Unfailing Sympathy,
     Many a care.      Undying love.

Dear God, help each one of us to face, with dignity, our own personal trials. Be with us each step of the way as we strive to keep a positive out look on life. Guide us in your ways, and help us to develop a trusting relationship with You, God, which will be with us always, even through the difficult times. Amen

Yours in Christ,
Ginny Downs (from April 12, 2000)

No comments: