Tuesday, March 03, 2009

March 3, 2009

WWJD?

Read: Matthew 5:1-16,6:24

Some years ago I noticed an item worn by many youth that surprised me both by its popularity and subject matter. The item was the “WWJD” bracelet (the letters stand for “What Would Jesus Do?”). My thought was that there must be quite a religious revival going on among children and youth of which I was not even aware. It seemed to be an encouraging sign. No longer, however, do I notice anyone wearing these bracelets, and I concluded that they must have been a fad fashion item.

So I consulted an “expert” - the teenage daughter of a family friend who attends a local high school. Yes, indeed, they were trendy items a few years back. Yet she indicated that no one at her school wears them any longer (with the exception of one boy she describes as a zealous Christian). How sad, I thought, that an item that reminds us of our commitment to Jesus and his teachings should fall to the whims of fashion. I wondered if Jesus had “gone out of style,” or if wearing one's faith on one's sleeve had become a fashion “faux pas.”

I have often thought of my need for something that would serve to remind me that in every moment of every day I have a choice in all decisions I make. In my thinking, saying, and doing – seemingly “large” or seemingly “small” - I either side with God or the opposite – against God. In my view there are no other choices, no nebulous “grey” area that seems to offer us a more comfortable place where decisions can be put off for a while or avoided altogether. A “WWJD” bracelet is, of course, not necessary, in that it will not magically transform us into present-day disciples of Christ. It can, however, help us to remain “on track.”

The world's viewpoint is announced LOUDLY and clearly, especially in the mass-market media and through the astonishingly quick communication available across the globe through ubiquitous electronic devices. In contrast, God's voice has been described as a still, small voice which patiently and quietly awaits our acknowledgement. In my thinking, God does not compete with nor shout above the noise of this world, for He did not create it. We did, and, I believe, did so to keep His voice at a distance. It becomes our responsibility, therefore, to quiet our minds and bodies, creating an environment in which God's voice is welcomed and received. Listening to God takes practice – a good deal of it, and every day! Perhaps some small, unobtrusive item tucked into a pocket or purse, or a short phrase that is repeated softly or silently at regular intervals throughout the day (or whenever we feel “challenged”) would be just the thing to help us lead true Christian lives. We would each do well to approach the “WWJD” idea in our own individual way, so that we might more readily center our daily living in the love and grace, joy and peace, forgiveness and inspiration we find in Jesus Christ, who listened only to the voice of his Heavenly Father.

In an early 16th century English prayer book we find a most remarkable text. It has been set to music by several composers, one setting of which was sung by our adult choir on January 25.

It reads:
“God be in my head and in my understanding.
God be in my eyes and in my looking.
God be in my mouth and in my speaking.
God be in my heart and in my thinking.”

What depth of meaning and height of thought and power are contained within this simple set of words – a creed and guide for our everyday living!

As a prayer, I would suggest these words from an African-American spiritual found in the United Methodist Hymnal:
“Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart …
“Lord, I want to be more loving in my heart …
“Lord, I want to be more holy in my heart …
“Lord, I want to be like Jesus in my heart … in my heart.”
Amen.

Doug Dykstra

No comments: