Thursday, March 05, 2009

March 5, 2009

The Touch Of God’s Hand

“He reached down from on high, he drew me out of the mighty waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity; but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a broad place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me." Psalm 18:16-19 NIV

We often speak figuratively about the "hand of God." In November 2001, during my first five hours in Bon Secours's emergency room, I felt many "hands of God" touching me and helping me to cope with the pain and the uncertainty of my emergency medical situation. At one point, I was lying in the fetal position as the doctor searched for the correct place for the spinal tap. The nurse was standing on my other side, and she gently placed her hand on my arm as the doctor did the successful spinal tap. Her hand warmed my heart and gentled my body as I prayerfully gave myself into God's hands.

After the procedure, I thanked her for her caring touch, and told her how much it meant to me. She replied that she felt I needed a calming hand, but that she never equated it to the hand of God.

Prayer: Dear Lord, let us lovingly "touch" our fellow human beings by word, deed, and prayer in our daily lives. Help us to witness our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior, and as our guide to a Christian life. Amen

Betty Durkin (from February 22, 2002)

No comments: