Monday, March 12, 2018

March 12, 2018

Every Step of the Way

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

I spent so many years trying to be strong and courageous and being envious of those around me who didn’t spend so much time in struggle and worry. Although I experienced much joy in my adulthood, worry and struggle were my constant companions. God put many people in my path to listen and help me overcome my worries, but it seemed it was just my nature, starting even in childhood. It robbed me of my joy too much of the time. However, I was steadfast in trying to overcome it. I read and reread Bible verses, joined groups, shared my struggles with the selected people. I can remember having Bible verses written on pieces of paper in my pocket to touch and read during a particularly difficult time. I was a persevering soul.

 One of my most difficult times came when I knew I had to leave my teaching job after thirty-five years, but before I expected to or wanted to. I was at a crisis point when I remembered I lived next door to our minister. I talked to the right person. Suddenly it seemed like God was talking to me and I could listen to his advice to take care of myself and trust that things would unfold as they should. At that time another trusted friend (identified later) delivered a book to my doorstep which was such an act of love and exactly what I needed. I saw God in these people and slowly learned that He truly was with me.

I can now look back at my life and know that God has been with me every single step of the way. I know it, feel it, and believe it. In retrospect it is so clear. I was led to a new teaching job and was able to have ten good, hard working, but very satisfying years. During that time I also believe that God planted a new idea in my head…..a new location and a new life. It seemed like an epiphany, but I was so much stronger in my faith and life that I was willing to take a risk. Retirement has given me more time to grow my faith, again through a good church and good people. Life will surely have many challenges for me in the future, but I know that my worry and struggle has been changed to belief and trust in the Lord….and now I even have a new friend in heaven (named Shirley) to guide me, remind me, and kick me in the butt when needed.

MaryBeth Cordier

No comments: