Tuesday, March 20, 2018

March 20, 2018

Empty Nest!

You have done many things for us, O Lord our God;
there is no one like you!
You have made many wonderful plans for us.
I could never speak of them all— their number is so great! — Psalm 40:5

I really did not think it would happen. Bridget stayed at home during college then returned home after working in New York post graduation. On her heels, Melissa was at home, waitressing and bartending and saving for grad school. When Mikey graduated, he expected a short stay at home before heading off to work in the Virgin Islands. Hurricane Irma had other ideas!

A few weeks ago, he packed his brand new Jeep and drove 2,500 miles to his new job in Reno, Nevada. I cried for a day and was comforted by my kind husband. Now, it’s just us newlyweds. And, I am happy to say, it’s great!

I have found myself reflecting on this new stage of life. It’s amazing to be granted these gifts, all things coming from God. The good fortune to raise sons and daughters and enjoy the people that they become. Something so much more than what we’ve given them.

My mother warned me as my children were heading into adolescence that it was going to be fast and furious. She was right! She advised that I watch carefully and to REALLY LOOK at them and listen. So I have various moments frozen from those years. I am glad to have those memories. I also remember NOW to look, listen, observe, and enjoy them in their young adulthood. It’s a lot of fun. And I enjoy how they relate to one another and the new people they bring into our midst.

I think about God’s children (us!) and how challenging we must be as offspring. We stray, we make mistakes, we forget about God, we sin. By our very definition, we are sinful. Yet we know that God enjoys us and wants relationship with us – each and every one of us. Especially if we are lost and apart from God. How lucky that God really looks at us and really listens to us, even when it’s inconvenient. We are blessed, indeed.

Thank you God for being our loving Father. Thank you for always listening to us. Thank you for always wanting to know us better.

Anne Sullivan

No comments: