Tuesday, March 27, 2018

March 27, 2018

Where Your Treasures Are

Read: Mathew 6:19-20

I’ve been cleaning house. Actually I’ve been at it for 4 years now, so you would think I would have a really clean house. Unfortunately, that is not the case. However, I have learned a thing or two about cleaning house. First, it’s a lot easier to get rid of other people’s stuff (i.e., my husband’s) than it is to get rid of my own treasures. And secondly, it can be hard for me to get rid of my treasures.

I’m reminded of the story of the monkeys in the wild who approached a cage full of bananas. As they approached the cage, each reached in to get a banana but they could not pull the bananas out of the cage so there the monkeys stayed by the cage. They were riveted by wanting the bananas, but at the same time wanting to get away from the cage and eat the bananas – and this was not possible. That is, they could not let go of their stuff – in this case, their bananas – and get on with their lives.

That sounds like me. How many of our possessions keep us captive and prevent us from being open to new opportunities? In my case, a bunch.


Vivian Anderson

No comments: