Friday, March 23, 2018

March 23, 2018

“A Tough Row to Hoe”

Read: James 1:2-4

Already this year I have been blessed, because last I had the chance to meet George Shirley, a famous opera singer. He was the first African American tenor to perform a leading role at the Metropolitan Opera in New York. He was also the first Black music teacher in Detroit.

I went to Wayne State University for their sesquicentennial celebration (150 years in Detroit)! Because my husband was one of the physicists being honored I had a reserved seat in the front row. After the celebration ended I hurried to take a picture with Mr. Shirley because I understand how difficult it is to be a minority in classical music. Many days I have wished that things would be easier for my daughter than it was for me. But things are slow to change.

There was a long line of people waiting to talk to him. I turned to Paul and said, “I am going to start at the front of the line because I just want to take a picture with him so I can send it to Candace.” I knew a picture with the cell phone wouldn’t take much time. The picture would be another way to tell Candace that she should continue to follow her dream.

I never expected to have a conversation with him, but when I turned to face the camera I had a chance to look at him. I knew he would understand all the years of struggles and pain. So I explained that I was a classical musician and that my daughter is currently in New York. I didn’t want to take any more time so I just ended with “It has been a tough row to hoe.” This was a short way to say my path has been very difficult. I was shocked when he stopped to tell me two things to remember.

First he told me that the struggle is real but everything is okay because, “No mountain can be climbed if it is smooth.” I told him that I had climbed some pretty rough mountains while working on degrees in classical string music but that he had put it all in perspective. I turned to leave and he said, “Wait a minute I have a story to tell you.”

The story is as follows: There was a man and God told him, “I am going to put a boulder in front of your door and every day I want you to go push on that boulder.” So every day the man pushed the boulder until he grew impatient with waiting for something to happen. Finally he said, “God why did you tell me to push on this boulder every day? You know I can’t move it!” God said, ”I never said you would be able to move it, but think about how much stronger you are now that you pushed on that big rock every day.”

Venus Rembert-Karchin

No comments: