Friday, March 30, 2018

March 30, 2018 – Good Friday

Confirmation

Read: 2 Timothy 1:1-7

There’s an old saying with many variations, each applying to different people or groups in slightly different situations. A basic version would go something like, “People are like tea bags; you never know how strong they can be until they get into hot water.” It’s been attributed to and used by many different people over the decades.

I’ve been thinking about that lately; not about me, but rather about my faith.
When Mom was dying, and especially right after she had died, I was obviously sad, but I was also so happy to discover that I really do believe what I had thought I believed.

It’s been so easy over the years to explain to others that funerals shouldn’t be sad because we know where our brothers and sisters are after death – they’re with Jesus, and the only sadness is for us as we miss them in our own lives. Even then, we know that we’ll be reunited with them when we too shuffle off this mortal coil and go home to be with the Lord.

Yes, it was always easy to know that when it wasn’t quite so close to me. The wonderful thing has been that through those moments of tearful sadness that do come, it’s mostly been an amazing time of trusting, believing, knowing that Mom really is there with Jesus, and that what we all profess to believe as His followers really is Right and Good and True.

I can’t guarantee that I’ll be joyful when we have her memorial service, in fact that’s not very likely, but I am thankful for the knowledge that I really believe what I believe.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for those confirmations of our faith You send us in the times when we truly must trust. Amen.

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: