Monday, March 19, 2018

March 19, 2018

Road Trip

“Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:12-14

In our women’s Bible study, we are using the book “Road Trip” by Jen Hatmaker. She compares our spiritual growth to taking a road trip. It made me think of my late husband Joe’s long haul trucking company.

 Each truck cab was equipped with a computer system that allowed the trucking headquarters to know where each truck was at all times. A driver could take a nap if he had time on his schedule. However, if they needed to start moving to meet their delivery date, an alarm activated by headquarters would sound in their cab.

As we grow in our faith we sometimes get moving in alternate routes. Our faith journey stalls. We stopped growing. It is so easy to get bogged down with daily tasks. We find it hard to find time to spend with God. Does God ring an alarm telling us we are off track? Jen writes, “We must take what God has said to do, and walk forward in faith and give God the chance to show he is faithful.”

Jen feels we must embrace our delays. Maybe you need a rest. “God knows what you have to face next. He alone knows how to prepare you. Choose to learn from every step along the way, even the ones that are uphill. Declare this to be a season to advance your faith.” Put God in charge of your outcomes. I have found that like others, my faith has grown in difficult times in my life. God is there, faithful to us when we seek him. We just need to keep on trucking in faith.

Dear God, Thank you for your faithfulness to us. Help us always to feel your presence as we grow in our faithfulness to you. Amen

Karen Bromley

No comments: