Monday, April 01, 2019

April 01, 2019

Thankfulness Series, Entry 3
When Jeri was still in various hospitals and I was still in a wheelchair all alone at home and trying to cope, the UMW put on their capes and came flying in through the window to save the day. Out of nowhere, food started showing up on my back porch, LOTS and LOTS of food, really good stuff too!! At times it was overwhelming, a single guy even of my stature can only eat so much.
Then one day it occurred to me that someday my wife, Jeri, will come home, and I’ll need to feed her. So, I started freezing as many of the dinners as I could. Then I had to start borrowing freezer space from neighbors. One day my neighbor Ronnie, came with his son, Ron, and he said to me, “Look, Ron! Enough is enough, someday Jeri’s gonna come home and you can’t be running around the neighborhood collecting up the dinners people made for you. You might as well just go to Kroger!” And with that, they brought in a new chest freezer and set it up in the basement for me. Then, all the neighbors who were storing dinners for me started showing up and putting them all in the new freezer for when Jeri would eventually come home.
When all of a sudden you can’t even get out of the house, eating becomes a real problem. When Jeri finally did come home after nearly 6 months in 3 hospitals it was pandemonium. We had nurses, aids, drivers, therapists of every persuasion, and some weeks as many as 30 appointments to keep; we were out 12 hours or more lots of days. I cooked as much as I could, but for most of a year, if the day was running too late, or we were just plain exhausted, we had dinners we could just heat and eat.
The ladies of the UMW have gotten us and many others through the hardest times of our lives and regardless of where we are, we don’t eat anything until we thank God for all of you.


Ron Draper

No comments: