Wednesday, April 03, 2019

April 03, 2019

Were You Comforted?
Last year my family lost our beloved daughter and sister, Eva Cobau, to mental illness. I have been told many times that this is the worst thing that can happen to a father. I have been to many support groups and spoken to many people who have suffered similar tragedies. I know now that it was not the worst thing that can happen to a parent.
During our time of grieving, countless people in the church approached me and said “I’m so sorry, I just don’t know what to say…” This is the perfect thing to say.
Many other people said “I know this is no comfort, but we’re praying for you and your family.” This is very comforting.
I went to a special church service at Christmas for people who were suffering a loss at Christmas time. I sat with a family I love who had lost a lovely mother and wife. I sat with two wonderful women who had lost their soul mate husbands. I sat with a woman who had lost a husband to the tragedy of substance abuse and mental illness.
During the service, the Pastors doubted that the service would comfort me and my family. It did.
I wrote earlier that losing a beautiful daughter is not the worst thing that can happen to a father. Losing a daughter and not having a loving, caring, comforting church would be much worse.
To everyone who reached out to me and the other members of the congregation who suffered tragedy this year: YES IT WORKED!! WE WERE COMFORTED!! Thank you. Thanks be to God for the love with which He has blessed this congregation.


Tom Cobau

No comments: