Friday, April 12, 2019

April 12, 2019

PRAYER
RAY
PRAY
First, look at RAY, a 'little word, not a 'little man'. It is a noun and tells us something – yes, it is a name, but names also have meaning. Perhaps when we think of the noun, RAY, we think of the sun's rays. To feel the effect of the rays we have to be where they can hit us, not in a dark closet or hole. We need an area which allows RAYS to bathe us, but in addition, we need to be open to GOD'S RAYS, whether that is in church, PRAYER groups, or alone in your own solitude.
Now let's look at the word, PRAY. It is a verb, a word of action. It tells us to give thanks and give GOD glory. When we pray, it is said, we should go into our closet and shut the door (Hymn-"Have You Entered Your Closet to Pray Today?") I don't think He means this literally, but He does mean for us to shut out all things, distracting thoughts and confusion so we can feel the RAYS of His presence as we PRAY. Have you ever been so disturbed about things in your life that you were distraught? I have been, with ill health. One day things seemed particularly bad and I fell to the floor before my bed and said, "GOD, I don't know what to say, YOU know how I feel, please help me!" About an hour later, I took note of myself – I felt much, much better. I did not hear GOD'S voice, but I felt HIS presence. I caught the RAY! We don't need to PRAY formally, but we do need to pray in faith.
PRAYERS – now the big word – I have found the Psalms and hymns to be excellent sources of PRAYERS. Favorite hymns are "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind," "Lord speak to me.", "Teach Me O Lord," and "Open Now the Gates of Beauty".
*****************************************************
Being a singer, as a PRAYER, my Mother sang, the last hymn mentioned above to the group.
This devotion (her devotion) along with a program book was sent to me by one of Mother's friends in 1999, on October 30, my birthday. I often think this action was a RAY from GOD and my Mother as one of those wonderful reminders from above that PRAYER is so important.

PRAYER:
Loving Lord, we have so many examples of how simple it is to seek guidance and direction from you in PRAYER. We praise YOU for YOUR omnipresence in our lives. All we need to do is let the RAY of YOUR sunshine enter our lives as we PRAY in faith – you are always there even before we seek you. AMEN

Carolyn Barth

No comments: