Tuesday, April 16, 2019

April 16, 2019

Radical hospitality
Practice hospitality ungrudgingly to one another.
The winter of 1981-82 was a rough one with big snows and lots of cold days. I moved into an apartment in Grosse Pointe fully expecting a nice place that would be safe and warm.
Well, it was safe. But it was not warm. Soon after the temperature began to drop, I discovered that the boiler did not operate properly. The landlord summoned a contractor who made numerous visits, always assuring the landlord that the problem was solved. It was not.
The contractor was clearly ripping off the landlord, but the landlord chose to believe the contractor rather than his tenants. Eventually, I consulted an attorney and arranged to place my rent in escrow until the heat returned. The landlord decided to take me to court. Much unpleasantness followed, but the judge ultimately ruled in my favor, released me from my lease, and I moved into a better (and warmer) apartment.
Soon after the court experience, Bob and I were searching for a church. We went to one in Grosse Pointe and, to our dismay, found ourselves sitting immediately behind the landlord. We decided that would be the wrong church for us.
The very next Sunday, we tried Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church and, to our chagrin, found ourselves sitting near the attorney for the landlord. It was almost funny that we couldn’t escape these two guys!
We were shaking our heads about this as we left the sanctuary when the attorney — Pieter van Horne — strode over to us, big smile on his face with his hand extended.
“Well, this is a little awkward,” he laughed.
Yes, we agreed, this is awkward.
Pieter grasped my hand warmly. “You are very welcome at this church. We would love to have you at this church,” he said.
We were wowed. Here was someone who could put aside something unpleasant and welcome us, an adversary, into his church.
This is “radical hospitality.” Radical hospitality means intentional invitation, reaching out to others, even when it’s uncomfortable, even when you know you might be rejected. Pieter van Horne didn’t stop to worry about how his gift of friendship would be greeted. He reached out, in faith, and welcomed two strangers into this church. I am forever grateful for his faith and his outstretched hand.

Joan Richardson

No comments: