Sunday, April 07, 2019

April 07, 2019

The Following is an Edited Devotional from Eva Cobau. Eva was a member of the GPUMC who died sadly in November 2018. She visited Haiti on two mission trips representing GPUMC, once in 2014 and once in 2016.
Connecting with Music in Haiti
Going to Haiti for the first time in 2014, the poverty drove me to tears and tore at my heart strings. I was forever moved and became truly thankful for everything I had, clean water, food, my family, shelter, this church, and medical care. As a typical American, I took all those things for granted. That trip changed my life.
The second time I was in Haiti I was looking for a way to connect with the students at the school where we were working. This was challenging because of the language barrier. The students spoke creole and I only spoke English. One moment God blessed me and let me connect with someone in my age group-which had never before happened on this trip and is something I very much struggle with in my own life.
I was reading some of the desks that had been removed from the classrooms to be cleaned and have the student’s doodles removed. As I read the graffiti on the desks, I noticed lyrics to some of the songs I had loaded on my cell phone.
In the courtyard behind the school, I approached a group of boys and asked “Do you like music?’ They were confused so I asked our interpreter, Velencia, to help. One boy asked for Nicki Manaj and I played a song called “Check it Out”. I placed one head phone bud in his ear, one in my ear and we shared the music.
I asked him if he liked rap. He said he like Eminem. I got really excited and said “We’re from the same place, Detroit!!” Velencia and him looked very confused at me. Then I recalled French it’s called “De-Twah.” Once I said that the confusion disappeared and Velencia translated my words for him. We then jammed out to some Eminem. Velencia then translated that he wanted to show me his music! I was thrilled. The genre was Haitian-Wop, another type of hip hop. He shared his music and I liked it.
We had become friends through the universal language of music.
Eva Cobau - 11/09/1996 – 11/05/2018

No comments: