Thursday, April 11, 2019

April 11, 2019

A Cup of Christiani-'tea'
I am a tea drinker and my day is not complete without several cups of tea. Many people feel the same way about coffee. Coffee or tea is a part of our day--a pleasant indulgence that is very satisfying as we get through the day. Knowing of my love of tea, I have a vast assortment of teas (including Scripture Tea) and a number of tea pots and tea accessories. One of my teapots is covered with an assortment of words that are a play on the sound of the word tea.
Today I'd like to convert all of you to celebrate a Christian cup of tea regardless of what else you drink. Just like tea or coffee drinking, it would be nice if we cultivated the following Christian qualities in a regular, habitual way. These 'teas' make us better persons, lead us closer to God, give us a joy in living and give others joy in life. These Christian habits are healthy and help spread God's love to those we share the Earth with. They don't cost money and yield results that can't be bought with money.
1. UNI-TEA: Where there is discord, do I try argue, stay quiet or try to be a healing presence?
2. SPIRITUALI-TEA: Am I active spiritually? Do I spend time feeding my spirit like I feed my body? Do I make a concerted effort to be in communication with the Lord or to study his word?
3. POSITIVI-TEA: Do I seek the positive? When things look glum do I see the glass half-full or half-empty? Do I stop to count my blessings or do I magnify obstacles? Am I uplifting or a' Debbie Downer'?
4. HOSPITALI-TEA: Am I waiting for someone to extend an invitation to me or do I extend that invitation to others? Have I invited others into my home or my church? Have I shown a welcoming spirit?
5. SIMPLICI-TEA: Am I so busy with work that there is no room for anything else? Am I so financially stretched that there is no money for charitable giving? What can I give up that will actually enrich my life instead of clutter my life?
6. OPPORTUNI-TEA: Are you open to opportunities to grow as a person or to serve as a Christian? Sometimes opportunity means sacrifice and commitment that you fear will put a damper on your lifestyle. Maybe that sacrifice will yield greater blessings that you can imagine.
7. GENEROSI-TEA: Do you believe that all that you are and have is a gift from God? What does it take to make you share your time, talent and treasure with others? Do you have to be asked or 'guilted' into sharing? Are you a wise steward of what you share? Most givers will tell you that from their experience, the more you give the more you receive.
8. INTEGRI-TEA: Are you honest in the way you live your life. Is what people see what they get or are you one person in private and another in public? Are you a person of strong moral principal? Will you speak up if you witness an injustice or will you stay quiet and leave it to someone else?
9, VITALI-TEA: The Bible teaches our bodies are like God's temple. Are you conscious of keeping your body healthy though diet and exercise? Are you training your mind for spiritual growth and godliness?
10. HUMILI-TEA: Do I serve others for my own glorification or for the glory of God? Do I only serve where I receive praise for my efforts? Am I conscious of my prideful efforts?
These are just a sampling of some 'teas' connected to Christianity. Others include: accountability, authenticity, creativity, curiosity, charity, inclusivity, loyalty, morality, sensibility, responsibility. Add to the list and explore how these qualities will help you in your Christian growth and life.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, just as a cup of tea gives me great pleasure, help me to cultivate good habits that bring you pleasure and keep me growing in my faith.


Pat Deck

No comments: