Monday, March 01, 2021

Monday, March 1, 2021

Welcome Home

Read: Romans 15:5-7

2020 was a year of epic proportions, to say the least. The ongoing pandemic has caused much heartache and sorrow, although some good has certainly come as well. I am an Army Reserve Soldier who was mobilized to Kuwait for a 9 month tour. I left in July 2019, and returned last May, during a very difficult and strange time to say the least.

Wearing masks and being socially distant was an extremely difficult situation to get used to, especially after being away from friends and family for an extended period. Luckily, GPUMC was able to be creative in order to give me a much appreciated welcome home.

On a quiet June weekday evening, I received an unexpected welcome home “parade” of cars down Briarcliff drive, with near and dear longtime GPUMC members! They honked and waved signs of appreciation for my service, as well as welcoming me home.

I am truly blessed to have so many family and friends who went out of their way, during a difficult time, to show a true and unique act of kindness!

Ben DeWitt

No comments: