Monday, March 15, 2021

Monday, March 15, 2021

Fallow Ground

“but the seventh year you shall let it rest and lie fallow.” Exodus 23: 11

Fallow is a farming technique where land is not planted for a period of time, the goal being to allow the land to recover and store up organic matter making it more fertile. It also disrupts the life cycles of some of the pests or weeds or fungus. After the land has rested it will be fresh and ready with good soil to start anew.

Lying fallow as it’s intended in the Bible, or in modern crop rotation, doesn’t happen overnight. It could be several months, or it could be a whole year. It has to be long enough to break the cycles that are depleting the soil, and rest is an important part of that. There are lots of examples in the Bible about rest and renewal: keeping the Sabbath, the 23rd Psalm, Be still and know that I am God, Take my yoke, … the list is long.

We are living in a state of forced rest right now. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather choose to rest than be forced to. But – being the glass-half-full person that I am – I am searching for the good. I guess we are all lying fallow right now. I am hoping that by the time this “rest” is over, I will have more fertile soil for God’s seeds. (I certainly have taken in plenty of organic matter and extra nutrients, as my tight clothing will attest.) I am also hoping that the time has disrupted any negative or petty thoughts and tendencies. Perhaps this fallow time will allow me to be more appreciative, loving and productive. I am looking forward to the not-so-distant future when we can follow Hosea’s words:

“Sow to yourselves in righteousness
 Reap according to mercy
 Break up your fallow ground
 for it is Time to seek the Lord” Hosea 10:12


Prayer: Dear God, thank you for rest. Please grant us patience and wisdom to use our fallow time to create a fertile ground for Your word, Your love, and Your kingdom. Amen

Jacki Rumpp

No comments: