Monday, March 22, 2021

Monday, March 22, 2021

Smiling Down on Me

Read: Psalm 126:1-3

Some very upsetting circumstances, in the outcome, can make you smile and even laugh at yourself. Thanks be to God!

Recently I ordered some groceries from a local market which included frozen items and items which needed refrigeration. I explained to the writer of my order that I live in an upstairs apartment in my building of four apartments. She remembered this from my previous orders, and wrote down instructions for the driver to: Call in advance of delivery. Main door to enter is open. Place packages on my “chair lift” where a gratuity envelope for them would be found. I would then glide them up to my domain.

This event normally takes place around noon. At 2:30 I was told by my downstairs neighbor that I had a delivery placed in the hall, and they would sent it up to me. Yes … melted ice cream, unfrozen chicken pot pie, and warm milk.

I immediately called (I thought) the store to explain what had happened.
A gentleman answered “Farms.”
Jean: “Is this Steve or Larry?” (the owners).
“No – It’s John,” was the answer.
Jean: “Well, my delivery has arrived, but it was left in the downstairs hall and some items have changed from solid to soft. I’m 88 years old, on a walker, blah, blah, blah, ice cream, chicken pot pie, blah, blah, blah…”
John: “Who delivered it?”
Jean: “Your delivery man.”
John: “I suggest, ma’am, that you call the store.”
Jean: “Who am I talking to – not the store?”
John: “This is the Farms Police Department.”

Dialing a wrong number is an embarrassing mistake, but when it ends up being the local Police Department it’s a colossal error! … I could have died.
I’m sure God was smiling down on me as He often does, and that John is still having a good laugh with his fellow officers about the crazy lady and her melted ice cream.

It’s a wonder that this “newsy” item did not show up in the Grosse Pointe News under the “Criminal Reports.”

We have been burdened by many stressful moments this past year due to things such as the epidemic, elections, riots, and our own personal griefs. This devotion I dedicate to you with tongue in cheek, as a smile maker.

May all your problems be this trivial. Amen.

Jean Buhler

No comments: