Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thursday, March 25, 2021

G Words

Read: Luke 17:11-17

Recently, I read two articles in the newspaper on the same day that essentially had nothing to do with each other, other than both focused on words starting with the letter G.

The first article was about hot water and types of hot water heaters. The article started out talking about how we today, in this country, take for Granted the availability of hot water at any time in our homes. The article went on further to say that it hasn’t always been that way and there was a time when Saturday night was bath night and one tub full of hot water had to take care of the whole family from Dad through Mom, through the kids in descending order from oldest to youngest. This article got me thinking about things I take for Granted.

The second article was about Murray Howe, M.D., youngest son of hockey great, Gordie Howe, and the book Murray wrote in 2017 about the 9 lessons he learned from his Dad. The article spoke of a tenth lesson Murray learned from his Dad that he realized after several years of book signings and conversations with folks about the book and his Dad. That tenth lesson was Gratitude. In the book, Murray stated of his Dad, “He didn’t take credit for anything in his life, that it was all given to him by God and by his family and friends and fans…. He felt he was the most fortunate person whoever lived.”

So, my mind started asking me what I take for Granted and do I ever express Gratitude to God for those thing I take for Granted. The list of things I take for Granted is endless, but difficult to list as I rarely think of those things. A major thing is taking for Granted that people I love will be around forever, so there’s always time to tell them that. That isn’t true. I need to tell them now. I used to take for Granted that I’ll be around to celebrate and enjoy this Earthly life tomorrow. That isn’t necessarily true and the older I get, the less I take today and tomorrow for Granted. There are so many blessings I take for Granted, but a realistic resolution is to think of those things and to offer Gratitude to God for every one of them

Mike Bernhardt

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Gratitude is the heart of prayer.

Prayer: Dear God, make us constantly aware of those things we take for Granted and remind us to express our Gratitude to you in prayer always.

No comments: