Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

The Change Jar

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” Psalm 51:10

We are moving our laundry area. It turns out that means more than just moving the washer and dryer. I have sorting bins, a place to hang things, and lots of bottles of important stuff. The shelf above the washer and dryer has become a bit of a catch all. Most items will be tossed, or put where they actually belong. One item on that shelf that served an important purpose at one point, has outlived its usefulness. The change jar. I can’t remember the last time I found change in the washing machine from someone’s forgetfulness. I can’t even remember the last time I found a dollar bill. (I have found the occasional guitar pick.) The jar has been sitting about one third full for several years. And so, I finally emptied it and then counted the change. The good news is that I discovered just under $30.00 in that jar, mostly pennies and nickels. It is amazing how much value can accumulate.

When I think back over my life, there has been a lot of change – some my choice, and some not. So, I guess I’m just a human form of a change jar! My life is a sum of all the change that has been deposited throughout the years. Just like change in the form of coins becomes more valuable as it grows, so do life changes when added together.

Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.” Let’s substitute the word change for the word things in this scripture. Suddenly all those unwanted and wanted changes become pennies that when compounded over time make us rich.

Prayer: Dear God, thank You for the richness of life brought about by change. Whether it is change that we like or not, it is comforting to know that You will make it good. Because You are good. All the time. Amen.

Jacki Rumpp

No comments: