Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

We Are … Together

Read: 1 Corinthians 3:16, UMH 558

There’s a hymn in our hymnal that I’ve never really cared for very much, but that’s more because of form than of content. The words and music were written in 1972, while the war in Viet Nam was still going on, and there was still a lot of social unrest in this country related to it and to the civil rights movement as well. It isn’t really a protest song, it’s more an affirmation of the authors’ view of the church’s place in the world. I’ve always thought of the tune as being a little sing-songy (if there’s such a word!) for my musical taste, as well as feeling that the author was groping a bit for words that would fit the tune.

That’s all form. As far as content, the last year has especially emphasized to me the truth behind the refrain and the whole hymn, especially the first verse. Allow me to excerpt a bit of it: “I am the church! You are the church! We are the church…” and “…the church is a people.” Not having been able to worship inside our building for most of the past year, and not having been able to see and visit with church friends and family (even at our outdoor services we were pretty conscious of social distancing and minimizing contact with others), has emphasized the people aspect of our fellowship to me. I can watch the on-line service, I can be recorded singing a choir anthem, I can follow things on social media, but I can’t see you smile at me as we engage in conversation, I can’t shake your hand or hug you, I can’t join my voice with the entire choir. To put it simply, I miss my people! I miss the winter retreat, I miss cooking a pig, sharing fellowship and dessert bids with everybody, and eating those purchased desserts at Palooza. I miss choir rehearsals; I miss being around people.

To paraphrase something I’ve said while trying to recruit choir members, the church is greater than the sum of its parts; when we all come together there’s no limit to what we can do. So let’s keep praying, keep tuning in to the on-line service, keep supporting the church with our gifts and our service (safely, or course). Let’s keep wearing masks, let’s get vaccinated, and let’s look forward to the glorious day when we can again be united together in prayer, in song, in praise, in worship, and in fellowship!

Art Van de Putte

1 comment:

Margaret Tyler said...

Beautiful words, Art. We can't wait to see y'all again. Maybe soon!!! Meanwhile hugs to you and Libby and all the rest of our Michigan family and friends.