Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

No Help Wanted

Read: Psalm 48
(I was going to suggest Colossians 3:21, but thought better of it. Ed.)

I truly am blessed and living a charmed life. Today I didn't know how much I needed someone to take me to a doctor appointment up on 23 mile road. Charlie rode to the rescue and not only took me there (I had never been in that area before), but eased my concerns and was a strong voice during the visit.

I guess this is just another lesson for me in how much less independent I am than I have believed. While Charlie is part of my immediate family, this makes me realize how important our other family, the church family, is to our feeling of well being. They are always ready to help.

I'm reminded of an account I read of a minister who was in a really bad car accident. He was in the hospital for months and months. Whenever someone asked if there was something they could do for him or get him something, the answer was always no. One of his friends lectured him, saying, “You are not being fair by not letting anyone help when it's what they want to do. You need to let them feel good about helping.”

The next time a friend asked if there was something he could get him, finally he said yes – he'd like a magazine. His friend returned with a copy of every magazine for sale in the hospital. Lesson learned.

Jack van Becelaere

No comments: