Saturday, February 24, 2007

April 1, 2007 – Palm Sunday

A Family Member

Read: Ephesians 3:14-19

My daughter is going through Confirmation this year. When she had to write a sermon she felt like she had nothing to say. From her point of view all the other kids had something happen – special or difficult – that they could write about. Nothing stood out in her life. I suggested maybe it was just because God was a part of her regular life, she just hadn’t noticed. Maybe He was more like a family member. I don’t know if she bought into that or not, but I did.

Life has certainly had its ups and downs for us. The question is, has she not noticed the downs because we have done such a good job of insulating her from them, or has she not noticed them as much because God lives with our family and shelters us all. Maybe a little of both. I do think that God is very much like a family member around here. We always like to have Him at the dinner table with us. We probably all get frustrated with Him sometimes when we think He’s ignoring us. If God were playing in a soccer game, I know we would all go as a family to watch Him play (and cheer Him on). Unfortunately I’m sure there are times when we take Him for granted just like other family members. We’re pretty comfortable with His presence though. We like having Him around. I’m sure there are times we’d like to complain, “Make Him stop, He’s staring at me.”

Does thinking of God as a family member not give Him an important enough place in our lives? Are we too familiar with Him? I don’t think so. We’re a pretty tight group and I think we would all put family at the top of our priorities list. I like having a close, friendly relationship with God. I like having Him hanging out in my house, or wherever I go. I like knowing He’s hanging out with my kids – even when they don’t want Him around (or maybe especially then). I guess now we’ll have to figure out where He should stand next time we get a family portrait.

Thought for the day: Does God have a place in your family?

Prayer: Dear God, Thanks for hanging out with us and keeping your eye on us. We are glad You are a part of our family. Amen.

Jacki Rumpp

No comments: