Saturday, February 24, 2007

March 12, 2007

Wisdom

Read: Proverbs 1:1-7

I used to be smart - but that was before my children passed me up in the “smart department”. Now I see my granddaughters catching up and can foresee the day when they will also pass me. This is not just speculation since my grandson has already done that!

I am also concerned about the “social graces department”. I seem to be trailing in this department too. Starting with my wife, through my children and grand children - “They all feel the rain – I just get wet”.

However, I still have the advantage in Wisdom! Wisdom comes through age and experience. Wisdom comes from learning from one’s mistakes. I know I’m ahead because I have already made most of the mistakes they have yet to make. What concerns me is whether the gap between us is getting wider or narrower.

Wisdom does have drawbacks. I am constantly pondering why; When accidents happen, no “Guilty” bystanders are ever injured. And why only persons who are “wonderful, caring, devoted to family, etc” are the ones to die. Does this mean since we are still here, we are not of that character? And if God had meant for us to be on the metric system, would there have been only ten apostles?

It’s tough to ponder the things that are ponderable. Imagine pondering the rest.

Jack Van Becelaere

No comments: