Saturday, February 24, 2007

March 9, 2007

Leaving Egypt

Read: Exodus 15:22-27, 16:1-8

My mom reminded me of a story about myself recently. During my senior year of high school I planned to attend Michigan State University after graduation. I was absolutely determined; I visited, applied, lined up financial aid and was done. I was so excited. I put the date on the calendar and packed and planned as the day of departure approached. On that Sunday we loaded the van, I said goodbye to my boyfriend and then I absolutely fell apart. We have a photo of me in the backyard with tears streaming down my face, completely forlorn. I did go to East Lansing that day and I had a great time and received a wonderful education. The point of departure was just rough.

Sometimes your life follows a path and leads you to a new place that you don’t expect. I am at a place in my life like that now. There are many changes and new experiences that I have faced and it hasn’t been very comfortable. In fact, at times I have felt sheer panic.

My wise brother Andy reminded me about Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. They were so happy to leave their enslavement, but life out in the desert was hard. They were scared and hungry and they didn’t know what to expect. Moses didn’t know, either.

I didn’t know what to expect when I left my home for college and I don’t know exactly what to expect now. It is a human condition to be unsure and it can be scary. It is at this time, however, that I remember about faith and trust in God. I trust that I am in the place on my path where I am meant to be. I have faith that not my will, but God’s will, is being done. With a breath and a prayer, the panic will pass and life will go on. It might not be the same as life before, but it is still life and it is a wonderful gift to be living.

Dear God, thank you for my life and my path. Help me to trust you to walk with me and lead me. Amen

Anne Sullivan

No comments: