Saturday, February 24, 2007

March 18, 2007

You Don't Have To Do It Alone

A few years ago, the Wednesday Evening Discussion Group (now known as the Spiritual Adventurers) read and discussed the book by M. Scott Peck, M.D. The opening sentence is “Live is difficult.” I took issue with that statement, a generalization. As we read further and discussed the ideas presented by Dr. Peck, I acknowledged that there have been many difficult time in my life. There are people for whom life is always difficult, but still I resisted the idea of the generalization.

I do believe that we make life more difficult than necessary. First, by some choices we make, secondly by resisting the help that is always available to us.

One biblical passage that often comes to my mind is 1 Peter 5:7. “Leave all your worries with him, because he cares for you.” (TEV) Since I tend to be a worrier, I have a few back-up verses. One found in Philippians 4:6-7, “Don't worry about anything, but in all your prayers ask God for what you need, always asking him with a thankful heart. And God's peace, which is far beyond human understanding, will keep your hearts and minds safe in union with Christ Jesus.” (TEV)

There are biblical helps for all of life's situations and emotions: anger, belief, comfort, envy, guilt, guidance, love, peace, poverty, sickness, worship, and so many more. One other thought, God has not promised that we will have not troubles, but he has promised to be with us through them. We only have to acknowledge him, and let him come into our everyday lives.

Carol Ann Maleitzke

No comments: