Saturday, February 24, 2007

April 2, 2007

Gone Fishin’

Read: Luke 5:1-11

Whenever I hear the story of Jesus in the boats, fishing with the disciples so that their nets were breaking, I am reminded on going fishing with my father. Dad loved to fish, and our family vacations often involved camping near a beautiful lake to allow my father to fish. He taught us to fish with a cane pole and minnows, but I remember one summer when he taught me to fly fish. We were in northern Alabama on a beautiful lake. There were willows hanging over the water that were covered with May flies. The water under the branches was churning with fish eating their fill of flies. We gently paddled the boat and lightly laid our line on the water where it was snatched up by hungry fish. At one point we tied two flies to the line and pulled in the fish two at a time. We soon had a huge catch of fish for a huge fish fry that night. It was amazing and awesome for a 13 year old girl learning to fly fish.

Fishing with my Dad offered many rewards. First of all, I had him all to myself. In a family with four kids that was a real treat. We always packed a special lunch and spent hours on the water. I look back now and realize that he probably took me along to row the boat gently while he fished, but it also allowed some great conversation time. It was quiet and peaceful. Dad also taught me that if you catch the fish, you have to clean them. Not a great job, but somebody has to do it.

The lures are designed to attract the fish, but what kind of lures do we use here at our church? Our lures could be as simple as a kind word, a handshake, a smile. It could move up to a hug, or an “I’ve missed you.” What about a phone call or a card or letter? All of these show a concern, a caring for those in our congregation. Our lures can also be our programs and our worship. In supporting our church activities and participating, we develop a strong bond with others. I’ll never forget the first activities that we attended. It was like cool water to a parched soul. We promise to support our church with our presence, our gifts and our prayers.

“I am the church, you are the church, we are the church together.” We are the lures to attract new members and encourage others to participate. We shouldn’t just sit in the boat quietly, but row along and drop our line in the water. Jesus said he would make us fishers of men. Let’s start pulling them in.

Libby Van de Putte

No comments: