Saturday, February 24, 2007

February 26, 2007

How Are Ye Able?

Read: John 13:1-17

Christians are called in many ways to love and serve. Last year’s Volunteers in Mission trip to hurricane-ravaged New Orleans had a profound effect on me.

Sharing stories of that trip, I have often said, “Every morning I got out of bed, having slept on the floor of an unfinished Sunday school room, being tired, often sore, and asking myself just what on earth was I doing there. And every evening, following the gutting of a house, the cleanup of a yard or some similar work, when the homeowner expressed gratitude and, more importantly, hope, I had my answer.”

I just returned from a similar trip to New Orleans and Gulfport, MS, having accompanied my brother and joined my niece Katy’s group of Albion College students doing hurricane relief work in that region. This time we slept in a church attic (in Mississippi) and in a now-finished Sunday school room at our host church in New Orleans.

Know what? I had the same feelings every morning on the recent trip. Know what else? Despite some organizational snafus that affected our work efforts in Mississippi, every evening I had my answer, just as I had last year.

John 13:1-17 contains the account of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. When asked why he was performing this menial task, Jesus said, “If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.”

In whatever ways we are able, can we do any less than follow Christ’s example of service to others?

Fred Van de Putte

No comments: