Saturday, February 24, 2007

March 11, 2007

See You Sundays!

Read: Luke 10:38-42

This devotion was actually written as my devotion for the 2005 UMW Christmas dinner, but when I ran across it when cleaning a couple of weeks ago, I realized that Christmas time does not always have the monopoly on stress and chaos. So when Charlie started asking for devotions, I thought I might share it with those who are feeling a little crazy AFTER Christmas too. Here it is ... and hope to see you Sundays!

Laurie Stowell

As schedules started getting busy, even before Thanksgiving, I kept telling myself, take it easy, don’t get stressed and think about saying “no” or let those less important things go - unmade, or unattended....

But here we are, in the middle of it all, wondering if we will make it through and we keep hearing “Remember, Jesus is the reason for the season”... but that doesn’t seem to calm my worries ... this is when I know I need Sunday mornings. I need Music Sunday; I need to watch the kids anxious to light the next Advent candle. I need the weekly reinforcement, the fellowship with church family. I need Sunday morning to refresh for the week so that I can happily meet each task with a renewed spirit of the season.

I found a poem by Helen Steiner Rice that helped me focus on the reason ... it is called “So Swift the Way! So Short the Day!”


In this fast-moving world of turmoil and tension,
With problems and troubles, too many to mention,
Our days are so crowded and our hours are so few,
There’s so little time and so much to do....

We are pressured and pushed until we are “dizzy,”
There’s never a minute we’re not “crazily busy,”
And sometimes we wonder as we rush through the day –
Does God really want us to hurry this way?

Why are we impatient and continually vexed,
And often bewildered, disturbed and perplexed?
Perhaps we’re too busy with our own selfish seeking
To hear the dear Lord when He’s tenderly speaking...

We are working so tensely in our self-centered way,
We’ve no time for listening to what God has to say,
And hard as we work, at the end of the day
We know in our hearts we did not “pay our way” ...

But God in His mercy looks down on us all,
And though what we’ve done is so pitifully small,
He makes us feel welcome to kneel down and pray
For the chance to do better as we start a new day,

And life would be better if we learned to rely
On our Father in heaven without asking “why”...
And if we’d remember as we rush through the day,
“The Lord is our Shepherd and He’ll lead the way” ...

So don’t rush ahead in reckless endeavor,
Remember “He leadeth” and “Time is forever”!

No comments: