Saturday, February 24, 2007

Introduction (2007)

The other day I was reading the daily devotion in the Upper Room, and I thought to myself, “That was good enough to go in our Lenten Devotion book.” I hadn’t realized quite how important this book is to me, I guess, until I noticed that my daily readings through the rest of the year just don’t quite measure up.
I’m sure it’s partly the fact that I know the writers of this book that makes it so special to me, but I think it really is just that - partly. It seems that this exercise brings out some of the deepest thoughts we each have - some of the most important sharing of feelings, experiences, and musings we could hope for.
As has been the case each of the past issues, it’s been quite exciting to see the patterns emerge in the submissions. Not only can we catch a glimpse of the Holy Land, we can share in worship and song, enjoy a family meal, celebrate a wedding, in short, we can share our lives and our living with one another - all centered around Jesus. That, of course, is only appropriate as we make our journey through Lent and on to Easter and Christ’s glorious resurrection!

It still seems just as appropriate as it has been these last several years to repeat the introduction from our congregation's first book of devotions of more than thirty years ago:

Keeping a true Lent requires us to be vigilant in many ways: in prayer, study, worship,
sacrifice, giving, meditation, and fellowship.


One or all may take precedence, depending upon our daily commitments. From these
devotions, lovingly prepared, may you find a well spring of faith to renew and sustain you,
so that the Glorious Triumph that is Easter will remain with you always.


The Lenten Committee


Again, we can but say, “Amen.”

Charlie van Becelaere, Editor

No comments: