Saturday, February 24, 2007

March 28, 2007

Awakening Faith

Read: UM Hymnal #277, “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus”

When I was a girl, my widowed Grandmother lived with us. My mother worked outside the home, so many child-care duties fell to my grandmother. Every summer my brother and I had a glorious few months in northern Michigan at her cottage on Lake Charlevoix. I have early memories of exploring the woods, swimming, boating, observing wildlife. There was no TV; we read books for entertainment.

Swaying on the old swing on the front porch is where I learned the Lord’s Prayer, the Creeds, the 23rd Psalm, “Jesus Loves Me” and countless Bible stories. My Grandmother, Katrina, was a gifted instructor. She taught us the faith that sustained her through many crises – the Great Depression, two World Wars, the death of her son while a pilot during WW II, followed shortly by her husband’s passing.

Every evening she would read from her Bible (and often during the day as well). When she died, it was the one thing I especially wanted to have. It is the King James Version, covered in a tattered zippered cloth case, pages quite worn from handling, filled with mementos and her notations in the margins. I use it every morning during my devotion – it reminds me of the person who awakened my Christian faith, and I am thankful God blessed me with her presence in my life.

Sue DeWitt

No comments: