Wednesday, March 01, 2023

March 1, 2023

Big Storm vs. Little Boat

Read: Luke 8:22-25

On a recent jaunt up Lakeshore Drive, I looked out on a stormy Lake Saint Clair to see a single boat on the water. There were two people in the boat, probably fishing, as I can only imagine that to be the only semi-reasonable activity to engage in on the water during a snow storm. I thought, "Not me!"

My thoughts took me to the story of Jesus, also in a boat, with His disciples. They, too, were experiencing a storm, and Jesus' fearful followers woke Him, asking how He could sleep when they were about to drown. Jesus asks them "Where is your faith?" (Luke 8: 25). He could have said so many other things, such as "Didn't we just learn this from the Centurion?" but His reply to his devoted ones is simple.

And the question remains for us today. May we consider this story as a gentle reminder that when we are in unsure, perhaps even dangerous times in our lives, to remember our faith in God. He is faithful and will always come through.

Prayer: Dear God, help us remember our faith in tough times, and to trust You always. Amen.

Rev. Leslie A. Rutland-Tipton

No comments: