Sunday, March 05, 2023

March 5, 2023

Beautiful Melodies
 
Read Psalm 96:1-3
 
I have been playing the euphonium for nearly 30 years. I especially enjoy playing at church during Praise Band rehearsals Wednesday evenings, and during Service on Sunday mornings. It is almost like praying with my fingers. But every couple weeks or so, no matter how much I tune them, the notes begin to sound tired and flat. Then I must do one of my least favorite tasks: adjust the tuning slide. I slowly unwind and continuously pull in and push out the slide until the instrument is properly tuned. It’s a lot of trouble, but even the plainest melody rings with beauty.

I have discovered that sometimes God works in me the same way. When my life has gotten out of tune, God sits me down and starts adjusting my slide. God unwinds my attitudes and goals that have a selfish sharp sound and gently leads me to repentance. Next, God adjusts the slide, tuning the instrument until the grace notes of Jesus Christ can be heard again in my heart. When the Great Musician sits down to play the beautiful melodies of life in me again — oh, what joy!
 
Prayer: Father God, forgive us when our decisions do not follow your will. Tune our hearts to sing the songs of heaven today. Amen.
 
Prayer Focus: Musicians
 
Thought for the day:
Today I will sing a new song to the Lord

Ben DeWitt

No comments: