Tuesday, March 21, 2023

March 21, 2023

“I Can Still Have Hope”

2 Corinthians: 5-7 — For we walk by faith, not by sight.

In October, one of the “boys” who grew up across the street from us suffered a massive stroke. Andrew is 33 years old with no history of health problems until this very unexpected event. His parents, Kathy and Jim, upended their lives here in Grosse Pointe to be with him in Washington, DC, and support him through the early part of his recovery.

Kathy and Jim are a faith-filled couple who have long been an exemplary model of what it means to “live and love like Jesus.” Their frequent postings on Caring Bridge have shared Andrew’s journey with friends, family, and neighbors. Each message has become like a small devotion for me. Kathy, who is a registered nurse, does most of the writing, and she presents a pretty straight-forward assessment of Andrew’s challenges and progress.

While she is honest about the struggles and the long and difficult journey that remains, she is not wallowing in the uncertainty that they are facing. There’s been no “woe is me, my life is so hard.” Instead, each message has been filled with gratitude and optimism, even joy. She has shared the joy of Andrew’s first steps on a treadmill, discovering new ways to communicate, walking through a park on a sunny day, meeting other individuals with aphasia and learning how they have adapted to this new life.

As Kathy said so eloquently in one of her postings: Even though my questions may not have answers, I can still have hope.

In the midst of the most significant crisis in their lives, this family is finding happiness. They are focusing on small bits of improvement and embracing this opportunity to spend time with each other and to support a loved one through an exceptionally difficult time. They are reminding me that life is short and that we must savor every moment that we have with those we love.


Prayer: Gracious Lord, help me to approach each day with optimism and hope. Help me to remember that, even during my darkest days, I can find happiness and joy.

Joan Richardson

No comments: