Tuesday, March 07, 2023

March 7, 2023

Sharing the Good News

Today's devotion refers to Acts 20, Verse 24, where Paul is saying good-bye to the Ephesian Elders on his route to Jerusalem.... "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me — the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

Many years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. While I never believed it was going to take my life (I had two young boys to raise), I still fought it with everything I had! That started with an aggressive medical team and experimental treatment plan. This included standard plus additional chemo, surgery, and radiation, and in that order. While I was nervous to defer the lumpectomy until after the chemo, my doctor stated that it's really the only way to know if the cancer is responding to the chemical treatment. That makes sense... They also shortened the time between my chemo rounds, which has since become standard practice. Another smart approach. But I didn't stop with a great medical team and strategy. I am of the generation where as a child, when you heard that someone had cancer, you expected them to die from it. Although I knew there had been major medical advancements, those concerns can still poison your mind if you let your guard down.

So, I didn't hide my medical situation, but rather told everyone in my circle. When anyone asked if there was anything they could do to help me I said, "Yes! Please pray for my healing, and spread the word! My goal is to have the largest prayer group ever." And they did. My friends, co-workers, siblings, parents and extended family all granted my request. I assure you there were people praying for me whom I never did nor ever will meet in person. In particular, however, I had a co-worker who was also the pastor of a local church. We had several conversations and he kept me on their prayer list during my entire battle.

This happened when I lived in Indiana, just before moving back to Michigan. After my treatment protocol was finished and I was back to better health, I heard from this man. He asked me if, when I was in town for a follow-up visit, I'd be willing to come to his church to give a testimonial. The thought of this really made me uncomfortable. I didn't know any of those people and was frightened to do it. Finally, he persuaded me that they'd been faithfully praying for me and it would mean a lot to them to see me in good health. So I agreed and we set up a plan. When I arrived, I immediately noticed that my skin and hair color did not resemble nearly anyone else in the room. While providing a very insightful memory to reflect upon later, at the time it only served to add to my discomfort and nervousness. However, I stayed and when called upon, stood and gave a testimonial of the grace of God's healing and the power of prayer. I thanked them graciously for being the active participants in my journey to become a 'survivor'. After a powerful service where their guest pastor made me cry (another good devotional topic), they invited me to join them for a luncheon. After lunch, I returned home that day feeling very good about sharing my story, but mostly about the love and generosity of the congregants of that church.

About a month later, this friend & pastor contacted me and told me that one of their members had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She'd discussed the situation with him and told him she wasn't frightened because of my testimony. He thanked me again for sharing the details of my journey, but I know I got more out of it than they. Sharing the good news of God's glory has double-sided benefits! What can you share today?

Debbie Smith
19 year Survivor!
 

No comments: