Saturday, March 18, 2023

March 18, 2023

Shining Lights

Read: Matthew 5:14-16

When I was a young kid, we lived on a court – a street that actually was a circle, but with two exits. It meant that there was little traffic on our street other than locals coming and going, and that we could ride our bikes and play pretty much unsupervised until the streetlights came on. Yes, I was a bit of a free-range child.

Anyway, I remember one evening, as I rushed home in the newly-streetlit gloom, seeing a cat under a car – looking at me with bright, glowing eyes. That was pretty darned freaky – beams of light coming out of a creature’s eyes!


Well, Dad explained to me that cats had AA batteries in their tails, and that's how their eyes glowed so brightly in the dark. As evidence, he showed me batteries from the kitchen drawer.



It couldn't have been clearer, or more obviously true.
(I wonder if I have ever explained that to Christian.
I'll have to ask.)

I told you that to tell you this. No, we don’t have AA batteries stuffed in our thumbs or wherever; instead, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. His presence lets us reflect the Light of God, lets us shine, so we can be the Light of the World.

Now it’s up to us to be the Light in a dark, sullen, and frightened world. To shine God’s Light so each person we meet can see where we’re going, who we are … Whose we are. And maybe they’ll want that light too. Just remember to tell them Who gave it to you!

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: