Thursday, March 30, 2023

March 30, 2023

A Happy Tail

“Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost. Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” Luke 15: 6-7

Two of my many passions in life are long walks and dogs. I walk pretty much all year, enjoying what nature has to offer in every season. I delight in the fresh air and sense of freedom that walking outdoors brings. As to dogs, show me the ugliest, oldest cur and I will love it (my Mother told me my first sentence when learning to talk was “There’s the bow-wow.” What does that tell you?).

One early evening in January, I was out for a stroll along Jefferson when a young man walking toward me in the opposite direction stopped me to ask if I had seen a small dog running around. The dog (a maltipoo named “Benji”) belonged to his Mom and had slipped out the front door of her home when a UPS man delivered a package. The dog was 10 years old, partially deaf, and had cataracts. I told the young man that I hadn’t seen Benji, but would keep an eye out for him. I asked for a text with a family phone number in the event I ran across Benji.

By the time I got home, the temperature had dropped significantly and it started to sleet. Picking up my cell phone, I looked for the text I had requested. My heart skipped a beat when I viewed it. Included was a photo of the missing dog – Benji is precious, with a perfect button nose, alert beautiful eyes, adorable floppy ears, and curls all over. I knew he might have trouble surviving the night outdoors because of his size, age, and health issues, and I hopped into my car to look for him. There was no way I could leave this sweet baby in the cold and rain if there was any chance of finding him.

So there I was, driving slowly with my flashers on for blocks and blocks, my windows rolled down in the pouring rain, screaming “Benji, Benji!” at the top of my lungs hoping the dog might hear me. I’m sure I was a sight. I was waiting for someone to call the police about some crazy woman driving through their neighborhood screaming out her open windows in the rain.

No luck. The next day, I drove around again in both the morning and evening adding additional area to my search. I kept in touch with Benji’s family, sorrowfully informing them of my lack of success. By this time, Benji’s picture had been posted on several lost dog sites. The son informed me that his Mom was inconsolable. I prayed every time I thought of it that day asking that Benji be found and kept safe.

The next morning, I got up a little later than usual. I started preparing for a search on foot, when I received a text that Benji had been found near my house! A follow up call with the son revealed that he had been found by his Mom, and despite age and infirmities, Benji had walked a really long way down Jefferson and was in good shape.

While thanking God for this happy outcome, I thought about the strange coincidence of Benji being found so close to where I live. Also, that he was found by his owner, despite my best efforts at finding him myself. It occurred to me that God, my owner, was reminding me of all the times He has searched for me when I have gone astray and how he always finds me. According to scripture, all of Heaven has rejoiced whenever this happens, and I am not nearly as cute as Benji!

Thought for the day: How wonderful it is that God never gives up, but searches for us whenever we are lost no matter the reason we went astray.

Joyce Reynolds     


No comments: