Saturday, March 04, 2023

March 4, 2023

Lean Toward the Light

John 8:12 — When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”
 

I’m not a terrific gardener, but I do delight in having an array of plants in my sunroom, soaking up the rays and making my home feel cozier.

I am especially intrigued by the way my houseplants follow the light. Whenever I move a pot to a new location or just turn it around a bit, the plant always adjusts and stretches out in the direction of the light. The plants embrace the light and, when they do so, they continue to grow.

Those plants are a metaphor for our need, our desire to embrace the light. Just as those plants need the light to grow, we need light to grow. We need to reach toward the light that is Jesus Christ and allow ourselves to bathe in the warmth of his love.

Prayer: Gracious Lord, please help me to lean into the light and to follow the light wherever it leads me.

Joan Richardson

No comments: