Tuesday, March 10, 2015

March 10, 2015

Sowing Generously
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7

I am Bertie See's mother. I'm 85 years old with good Methodist blood! August last year, I missed a step, fell and broke my hip. After surgery, six weeks in a rehabilitation center with two hours of therapy a day, then home with a therapist who came twice a week I was doing great, walking with a cane. I don't really know what happened next, but I lost my balance and after some fancy pirouetting and bumping into things, I went down and broke my right wrist badly.

I was totally useless. I had no use of my right arm, and was so frightened by the fall that I wasn't walking much at all. My husband was doing the cooking, aided by Bertie and her sister on weekends they could spare. I had lots of love and concern and suddenly, surprisingly, there were cards and messages and a hand-made comforter from Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church in Grosse Pointe Farms. The warmth that came from those elements of support made me picture a prayer chain 400 miles long.

I'm on the mend again. The external metal framework holding my wrist has been replaced by a removable brace, and my cane is not as frightening as before. Each day looks brighter.

Dear Father – bless the friends who have sowed generously, and helped me maintain a sense of joy in being alive. "Birds dart among bright leaves as the whole world sings." Amen.

Kathryn Harshaw

No comments: