Saturday, March 21, 2015

March 21, 2015

Scrambled Eggs
Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you. - 1 Peter 5:7 (RSV)

Things are exciting in our households this year. Our son and his wife purchased their first house and are settling in. Our daughter is getting married this summer and plans are everywhere. These are wonderful times but.... What can I do to help without meddling? What will be the next thing to fix with the wedding plans? God has given me so much and yet I worry.

During the Bible study on Lazarus we talked about moving the stones from our heart so Jesus can be with us. “Remember to stay focused.” When so much excitement and joy is around why do I ponder heavy thoughts?

I look around our congregation and see so many people with so much going on in their lives. There is a young couple with small children, a retired couple, a single parent and the list goes on. Yet, they seem so happy, calm and contented. I seem to feel like scrambled eggs so much of the time. There is always so much to do and not enough time. I have begun making a list of all the things I need to do and assigning a day to accomplish each task. It is my hope that this approach will get me organized and give me a sense of control over the chaos. I have been at this process for a couple of months now and when I put it on the paper it my way of saying “God, here it is. Help me please?” I have found just putting it on the paper is a huge help. I have to stop and focus. I clear all the “stuff” away and give God a chance to speak to me. When I focus I can group and prioritize things. I even cross things off that aren’t really necessary once I look at the big picture. (The whole list) I have found that having the list allows me to save my energy to think about things that are really important. I don’t waste energy and time trying to remember everything I think I need to do. I find myself chatting with God at numerous times throughout the day and thanking him for my very busy and crazy life. I try to make the most of the opportunities to serve or help others. I wish I could do more but... I need to relax and enjoy the opportunities God has given me.

Lord, please help me to remember you are always available and I just need to ask for your help. Help me see how to turn the feeling of “scrambled eggs” into an attitude of peace and appreciation for your world. I always accomplish much more when I listen to you and follow your lead. Amen

Gretchen Brammer

No comments: