Saturday, March 28, 2015

March 28, 2015

The Strong, Silent Type

Read Psalm 138:3

When I was a child, every night my Mom or Dad would stand vigil by my bedroom door as my sister and I said our prayers. We would kneel beside our bed, hands clasped together and recite in unison the prayer we were taught. Many of you know it I’m sure. It starts “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.”

As I became a teenager and then an adult I abandoned that tradition, but as soon as my own children were old enough I continued the tradition of my parents. I became my mother, teaching them the simple prayer and standing or kneeling beside them as they recited it.

Somewhere along the way we all became busy, my children’s bedtime ritual no longer included me and regular daily prayer once again slipped out of my life. Then, about 8 years ago, GPUMC offered a Disciple 1 Bible study class. This was a 32 week program that met once a week. During that time we read and studied 70% of the Bible. It was during this program my “conversations” with God began. Of course I wasn’t praying in the formal way I had as a child or we do in church, but I was praying again. As time went on these conversation became more regular. I would talk to God while I was making dinner, driving my car, taking a shower, or walking the dog.

During the last several years my family has had many blessings but we have had many difficult trials too. I know without prayer getting through these trials would have been so much more difficult. My conversations with God still my heart, calm my fears, and ease my mind.
If you are not having regular conversations with God consider starting. He’s a great listener and has a tremendous ability to make you feel better and keep things in perspective even if He doesn’t say much.

Prayer: That all may turn to you, Lord, in good times and bad that you might bring them peace.

Cathy Lorenz

No comments: