Monday, March 16, 2015

March 16, 2015

A Parent's Prayer
Read: Matthew 18:2-5

Deeply entrenched in the throes of parenthood, the majority of my daily prayers tend to focus on my children and/or my parenting and coping skills. What started as a joke between my husband and me, has now become an attempt at regular prayer for my children. As we lay in bed one night looking forward to what we hoped was a good night's sleep, we made up our own bedtime prayer, modeled after the popular children's prayer.
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray my children sleep real deep.
If they should wake before I do,
I pray that they'll just talk to You.
As funny as it was to us at the time, I realized it was exactly what I wanted. Well, yes, the sleeping deep part -BUT-mostly I want my children to get in the habit of praying. We already had our own version of the "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer, but teaching them they can "just talk" to God any time, any place and about anything is one of the best habits I can give them.

Prayer: Dear God, Thank you for the gift of my children, and especially for the gift of Your child. Amen.

Thought for the day: Every time you look at your sleeping child, remember to thank God for such a wonderful gift.

Jacki Rumpp

No comments: