Thursday, March 05, 2015

March 5, 2015

Providence
Read Psalm 43:3-5

GPUMC is my church. Well, it’s OUR church. After all, as the song goes, we ARE the church. What amazes me is how I landed in this church 25 years ago. Makes me wonder at those who say God doesn’t have a plan – even if He doesn’t move us like chess pieces, I believe he at least uses an outline. Here’s why.

Let’s go back about, oh, 85 years. My mother was a girl in the small town of Ranger, TX. Another family, the Davenports, lived in that Texas town. One of them was Mary Edlo Davenport. My mother knew her.

In the mid-1940s, my mom, who was raised in a Christian Scientist household, had met a guy, my dad, who was raised in a Roman Catholic household. They were married and moved to Detroit where my brother and I were born.

When Art and I were 7 or so, Mom decided we needed Christian education. By that time, Mary Edlo Davenport (remember her, from Ranger, TX?) had grown up, married, and was Mary Edlo Thompson, the Sunday School Superintendent at Grosse Pointe Methodist Church. You know what’s coming. Art and I received our early Christian education at GPMC.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, my buddy in elementary school attended Christ Methodist Church. He talked me into attending a gym and swim with their MYF when I was 13. I met Lynn Grose (his girlfriend) who, 10 years later, became my wife. After we started our family we made the reluctant decision to leave Christ UMC (by that time Methodism had become United Methodism) because of the children’s programs available at GPUMC. We’ve been here since then, over 25 years ago.

I couldn’t make up that series of seemingly coincidental encounters and events but I know who could. I’m here now because God wants me here. His hand is in all we do and I thank Him for bringing me to this point in my life. I’m looking forward to learning what He has in store for me and my church, Grosse Pointe United Methodist.

Fred Van de Putte

No comments: