Sunday, March 15, 2015

March 15, 2015

I Believe
Read UM Hymnal #880

Just a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of listening to a presentation of Bach’s Mass in B minor, a choral work that sets the text of the Latin mass to music. I have sung it myself several times. When I first learned it, I borrowed a missal from a Roman Catholic friend so I could read the English translation and better understand the context and mood of the music. I was inspired when I sung it but, concentrating on making music, it was easy to forget that the text spells out what we, as Christians, believe. Not so as I recently listened to it.

Bach’s use of music to set the tone of the text is a fitting subject for a learned paper and I’m certainly not writing one of those. One section of the Mass, the Credo, literally says what Christians believe. Listening to one portion of the Credo in particular, though, caused me to reflect somberly upon the enormity of God’s gift to us, his son Jesus Christ. The text translates, “…[he] was crucified under Pontius Pilate, suffered, and was buried.” All the vocal parts end this section very quietly, in the lower parts of their vocal ranges. Surely the suffering and death of Jesus is the ultimate gift, but Bach tells us more.

Within seconds after that most somber section of the piece, my mood swung to the other side of the scale, as I realized, with joy, the victory over sin and death that God has promised us. Accompanied by the celebratory sounds of trumpets, the choir sings, “Et resurrexit tertia die secundum Scripturas…” “On the third day he rose according to the Scriptures.” Even if I didn’t know what the words meant, I still could not help but feel the joy conveyed by the music.

It’s cliché to say it, but it’s the truth; the hair on the back of my neck stood up as I listened to the beauty of the music and the power of message. Christ lived among us, died, and returned to us. To paraphrase another section of the Mass, “God, I thank you for your great glory!”

Fred Van de Putte

No comments: