Wednesday, March 11, 2015

March 11, 2015

On the Path
Read 2 Samuel 22:26-37

I hear myself use the word “path” quite often.
Sometimes the path is not exactly straight.”
This is not where you thought your path would lead you.”
You are precisely where you should be on your life path.”
Treasure this moment you are having on your path right now.”

I think path is a good word for our life journey. We travel along in days, months and years, following our path, our way. We may linger for a time, but we do not stop. Sometimes our path feels like a treadmill: the same thing over and over again! But our circumstances change slightly or greatly. We have companions on the path; some for a long while, some provide brief company. We pass others, going along in the same direction, or coming from the opposite way. We may feel utterly alone at times, yet at other times we feel crowded and yearn for solitude on our path.

I was thrilled to learn about acceptance of my position on my life path. As a motivated, but somewhat unsure, human being, I had felt for most of my life that I needed to get farther along: better career, greater accomplishments, higher spirituality, more friends. I could not see that the place where I was had merit, beauty, fragility, and transience. The place where I was – was just about to change! It always does. Something shifts, improves, worsens, grows, dies. That is life! But I also have learned to celebrate and be grateful for my present position, and to truly feel that I am exactly where God wants me to be. I actually have no choice, because where I am IS in fact where I am on my path. Wherever I go, there I am! There must be something holy in that, right? I pray for acceptance on an hourly basis.

God is our constant companion on our life journey. God is with us in the womb, and if we are lucky, we can pass from this life right in God’s lap. What a nice place to be! We love our earthly companions: our loving moms and dads, our siblings, our life partners, our best friends, our children, our pets, our gardens, our mountains, our oceans, our trees all enrich and beautify our life here. But if you ever feel alone, remember that the one reliable entity is God. When I remember that, I am not afraid or lonely. I am empowered and capable and loved, and I am ready to take one more step on my sacred path: one more grateful step into my life. Thank you, God.

Anne Sullivan

No comments: