Monday, March 09, 2015

March 9, 2015

Make A Difference
Read: 1 Corinthians 10:23-24

This past summer I traveled to Kentucky with 36 other people. The morning we were leaving my dad came in my room at 5:30 to wake me up and said, “Abby get up we are going to Work Camp today!” I moaned and turned over. He came back into my room at 6:00 and literally had to drag me out of bed.

The first day was extremely awkward and all I wanted was to go home, and to make things worse I would have to get up early, go to a church service, and then go work in the heat all day. I was having a terrible time. The week went on and I started to form relationships with the other youth and adults. The trip began to be fun and after our day off we were all having the time of our lives.

On Friday we finished our projects. I, myself, was one on the last four people at my site. I will never forget the look on the elderly woman’s face as Mr. Lorenz handed her the keys to the new doors we had installed. The joy and thankfulness in her eyes has forever changed me.

On the drive back to the settlement we sat in silence. I was thinking back on the past year with these 36 people; fund-raising, working, laughing, and growing in faith together. At that moment I understood why the adults had taken their vacation time away from their families to travel with us; they did it to guide us and mold us into better Christians.

The trip opened my eyes to the poverty in America and drew me closer to God. It showed me that I, with the help of God, can make a difference.

Abigail Martin

No comments: