Sunday, March 08, 2015

March 8, 2015

Practicing God’s Presence
Read: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I’ve been reading a little book by Brother Lawrence called The Practice of the Presence of God, and it’s beginning to have an effect on me.

The basic idea is quite simple and Biblical: “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24

Brother Lawrence was a Carmelite monk in 17th century Paris who found himself working at tasks which he could have found distasteful or unsuitable, but which he instead performed as an offering to the Lord – he offered up his work and his suffering to God.

The bigger thing, though, was that he tried always to be aware of the presence of God, not just His omnipresence, His being in all places and times, but most especially the Holy Spirit’s indwelling presence.

What this has done for me is to cause me to talk to God much more frequently and more conversationally, and that has meant a deeper and more satisfying and energizing prayer life. After all, what is prayer, but a conversation with God – talking with my Father about whatever is going on in my life or the world?

I’m praying that this will continue long after I’ve finished reading that book, and that I can encourage you to try it too. God is there, already listening – go ahead and talk to Him.

Charlie van Becelaere

No comments: