Tuesday, March 24, 2015

March 24, 2015

God Isn’t Done With Me Yet
Read: 1 Corinthians 12:12-31

This reading (which was the scripture on 1/21/01) focuses on the different roles that individuals play in the church community. I’ve played a few of them, though certainly not as many as some of the saints in this congregation. Some of my roles were long standing jobs, whereas others were short-term. Currently I have one such short-term role as a mentor to a confirmand.

I have never formally mentored in a church setting before. Wow! In many ways, this job is scary. I, Vivian Anderson, sinner and slacker of long standing, am supposed to model Christian behavior and be the end-all on Christian doctrine. Yikes.

Fortunately, I have a lot of good news about this position. First, this position has caused me to reexamine my own beliefs and actions, even in the light of an eighth grader’s perspective. I have felt great humility regarding my inadequacies which I admitted to my confirmand up front. More good news is my realizing that growing in the Christian faith is an ongoing process. Churches are not filled with finished products. Daily reexamining of our faith is a life-long process. Thirdly, as all teachers know, you really learn when you have to teach something. I’m not exactly teaching as a mentor, but I am doing some long overdue spiritual “spade work” on my own.

So have I spent many hours with my confirmand talking about the fine points of Methodist doctrine, you ask? Actually I haven’t. In fact, we haven’t talked about 99.9% of the large points. But it has been wonderful to hear about middle school happenings again. Frankly, I miss that action, now that my girls are grown. And I’ve had an opportunity to get to know a lovely young woman with whom I share a huge number of interests – from writing and good books and biology to chocolate-covered eyeball candies.

So, Emily Stowell, as you can see, I am not the writer you will no doubt be one day. Hang in there. As they say, God isn’t done with me yet, and you will get through confirmation – even in spite of your mentor.
Vivian Anderson

No comments: